New Yorkers Who Complain & New Yorkers Who Clean Up
● From curbside to landfill, our trash is touch by so many hands. Garbage collection is the fifth most dangerous job in America, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In New York City, the citizen’s sanitation complaints are heard through 311 calls. However, sanitation workers are not given the same opportunity to have their experience recognized.
This website uses 311 data from NYC’s Open Data API to show the complaints made about sanitation. It also uses data from the Department of Sanitation New York which details the different types of injuries by year and boroughs. By placing the two perspectives next to each other – from those who complain to those who clean up – we hope to show a larger picture of sanitation in the city.
● See website: here● Read about the process: here.
● Year: 2019● ITP Course: Data Art● Type: Data Visualization, Website
● Role: Web Developer, Designer
● Professor: Genevieve Hoffman● Collaborator: Eva Phillips